Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Art of Being an Arts Student

You know once upon a time people in Bengal would joke that if you throw a stone on anyone in Howarah station, there is a 99% chance that it will hit a graduate. Nowadays, they say it will hit an engineer. In a country obsessed with IITs, science is the staple diet on which students survive. In this kind of scenario, studying Arts is as good as standing in front of the Tiger unarmed. Trust me in this case you are fighting battle with everyone, and sometimes even yourself!

Therefore, all art students need to develop some “art” to survive:
Point 1: Get a thick skin: this is a skill that needs to be perfected. You will hear advice from family, friends, their friends and their family. I remember once an Uncle asked me “What are you studying?” I said “Sociology”. “Omg!! You didn’t manage to get any better subject than that!” he exclaimed. By the way this exclamation is not an exception but the rule. You will have even distant relatives whose name you are struggling with reacting in the similar way.

Point 2:Prepare yourself for the nugget: “Everybody but you is becoming a CEO”: First time the news got around that I am going to study Sociology, this guy who was my classmate said   “dude what work you will get after studying sociology? I said maybe I will do social work or human resource.” Then the guy said “well I am going study science and I will become the CEO” what about you? I thought to myself “We are just 15, how does he know he will become a CEO and I won’t?!?!”

Point 3: Girls will be single and boys will mingle: the ratio of girls: boys is 11:1. Therefore, the chances are very high that a guy who maybe a proof of Darwin’s theory (i.e. in evolution stage) would get a girl and most of the girls will graduate single unless you decide to reciprocate favourably to female classmate who hits on you. Therefore, go to an arts college which is bang opposite an engineering college where the ratio will be exact opposite.

Point 4: All the “Logy” means the same thing
I personally feel that all the time spent by all the people on the nomenclature of subjects like Sociology, Psychology, and Anthropology was a waste of time! To the non-arts students it means the same thing. Once I was at a party  and a friend of mine was telling how troubled his cousin was – she was apparently in depression. I said maybe she should visit a psychologist. Then my friends eyes widened. “That’s a great idea” she said. I will bring her to you. I said I can’t counsel. “Of course you can. You are Psycho.” I didn’t know what to say to that compliment. I said I am not a Psycho. Neither am I a Psychology student. I am a sociology student.” “Psycho – Socio same thing!” In such cases, don’t get defensive. After all most of the arts students also think all the engineering students can repair a car!

 Brighter side: you have a very high chance of high inheritance:
A friend of mine is the only person studying “art” like proper art. So when her grandfather fell ill, he wanted to discuss his will. Now Anna comes from a family of doctors and she was the only odd one out. In the will the grandfather gave her 50% of his property while her two brothers studying medicine got 25% each. He said “Boys you all will do well but Anna is studying art and we cannot leave her a destitute”. It’s a different thing that Anna works at one of the most plush art gallery in UK and gives some doctors a run for their money!

Now you can probably understand why SMART has Art in it because though all the puns and stereotypes can smart initially but as you learn the art of being an art student, it will make you really smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...