Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tangled Movie Review

Over the last couple of years, a lot of 3-D movies have overwhelmed us. I personally never felt ,however, that the 3-D was required in each one of them. Tangled is a different story though.

What was my expectation before the movie? I thought this was another 3-D movie which will unnecassarily have three dimensional effects very rarely out of no context in a famous fairy tale.I expected to watch the movie wondering why it becomes so dark when I put the glass on, whether I should complain to the TC about the scratch on the glass, and if my neighbour had better glasses than I did, while straining myself hard to finds moments when I could really see something 3 dimensional, spilling popcorn all over, since I couldn't see where my hand was going, and finally, just before sleeping at night, wonder if the migraine I had was because of all the 3-D efforts I had put in watching the movie. I had almost made a resolution to not spend an extra buck on 3-D. I must confess: for the last couple of movies (viz. Narnia, Megamind), I actually watched them in a 3-D hall without the glasses.


What did I actually find? I was in for a very pleasant surprise. Though it is a take on Rapunzel and her name is the same, it is definitely not another run of the mill 3-D animation. I thought it was very gripping and enjoyable. 

What surprised me? I think it was the quality of the 3-D. First of all, one movie where 3-D fitted into the plot. Especially during the song sequence "I see the Light". It was the first time I could actually see the different features on screen in different layers. I wonder if it was the movie that got the 3-D right, or the theatre that got new,better glasses. Given the fact that the theatre I go to is one of the best in Mumbai, it probably is the former. Extremely well done!!

What I missed? The content was not great. I think there was scope of making Gothel even more evil than she has been shown especially during the climax.


Characters: Each character has been detailed well. I personally felt the Pascal (the frog pet) and Maximus (the royal horse) definitely steal the show!


One piece of advise to film-makers. Those who wish to make 3-D movies must make sure that the halls screeneing their movies must have good facilities. 3-D movies can create a lot of stir but a bad cinematic experience due to bad 3-D facilities can ruin one's experience.

Verdict: Definitely a must watch.


Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...